Gentle, prenatal chiropractic care helps to remove some of the stresses of pregnancy, balance the mother’s pelvis and spine, and allow for an easier birthing process. When the mother’s body is in balance, her growing child can develop in a healthier environment.
For women who are carrying a breech baby (that’s when the baby’s feet or rear end are facing down) or transverse baby (that’s when the baby is lying on its side), chiropractic care can help them to avoid an invasive cesarean section.
The Webster Technique helps to correct sacral misalignment and balance pelvic muscles and ligaments. It increases the space around the uterus giving the baby the room it needs to turn. The chiropractor will give an adjustment and ligament massage to the pregnant mother. This process relieves muscle tension and bony misalignment’s in the mother’s pelvis that may be stopping the baby from turning “head down” or having as much room as possible to move during delivery. The technique is used to relieve the musculoskeletal causes of intrauterine constraint that may lead to cesarean section delivery.
Potential benefits for women receiving chiropractic care when pregnant include:
• Relief of back, neck, pelvic, and joint pain
• Controlling vomiting and morning sickness
• Increasing the likelihood of a full-term delivery
• Reduction in amount of time for labor and delivery
• Reduction in cesarean sections and breech deliveries
• Reduction in pain during labor
• Safe and effective nutritional and exercise recommendations